Current Watches and Warnings
South Dakota, Union
Severe Thunderstorm Watch
Statement as of 9:25 PM CDT on May 18, 2013
Expires 5:00 AM EDT on May 19, 2013
The NWS Storm Prediction Center has issued a
* Severe Thunderstorm Watch for portions of
southeast South Dakota
* effective this Saturday night and Sunday morning from 925 PM
until 400 am CDT.
* Primary threats include...
several damaging wind gusts to 70 mph possible
a few large hail events to 1.5 inches in diameter possible
The Severe Thunderstorm Watch area is approximately along and 70
statute miles east and west of a line from 55 miles northwest of
Yankton South Dakota to 10 miles east southeast of Falls City
Nebraska. For a complete depiction of the watch see the
associated watch outline update (wous64 kwns wou5).
Remember... a Severe Thunderstorm Watch means conditions are
favorable for severe thunderstorms in and close to the watch
area. Persons in these areas should be on the lookout for
threatening weather conditions and listen for later statements
and possible warnings. Severe thunderstorms can and occasionally
do produce tornadoes.
Other watch information... continue... ww 170... ww 171... ww
172... ww 173... ww 174...
Discussion... E cntrl/se neb sqln expected to continue mainly
newd... with a continuing threat for dmgg wind... marginally svr
hail... and possibly a tornado as mid tropospheric speed Max moves
newd with it. Moist... low-lvl ssely flow ahead of sqln will maintain
potential for low-lvl meso circulations and perhaps a brief
tornado... but gradually strengthening cin should limit overall
updraft strength/longevity... and the potential for tornadoes.
Aviation... a few severe thunderstorms with hail surface and aloft
to 1.5 inches. Extreme turbulence and surface wind gusts to 60
knots. A few cumulonimbi with maximum tops to 500. Mean storm
motion vector 22030.
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 9:38 PM CDT on May 18, 2013
... Severe Thunderstorm Watch safety rules...
A Severe Thunderstorm Watch means that conditions are favorable
for the development of severe weather in the designated area.
During a watch there is no cause for immediate concern. You should
go about your normal business... but be on the lookout and keep up
to date on the latest weather developments. Public safety
officials should activate prearranged plans.
A Severe Thunderstorm Warning... on the other hand... means that a
severe thunderstorm has been sighted or indicated by radar. People
in the path of the storm should take immediate action to safeguard
themselves and their family.
Technically speaking... a severe thunderstorm is defined as having
wind gusts which exceed 58 mph and/or hail at least 1 inch in
diameter. However... as these storms develop... they can be
accompanied by tornadoes. Listen to NOAA Weather Radio or other
local media to learn if a warning has been issued for your area.
Also... keep a close watch on the thunderstorms as tornadoes can
form quickly. If you see a tornado... move quickly into a basement.
If none is available... seek shelter in a small interior room on
the lowest floor and stay away from outside walls... doors and
windows. In schools... factories or other institutional type
buildings... stay out of auditoriums and gymnasiums.
- Alabama - Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- Alaska - Areal Flood Advisory , Areal Flood Watch , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Arizona - Fire Weather Watch
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Record Report
- California - High Wind Warning , Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Watch , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Public Information Statement
- Georgia - Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory , High Surf Advisory, Areal Flood Advisory , Areal Flood Advisory
- Idaho - Lake Wind Advisory
- Illinois - Flood Warning
- Iowa - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Tornado Watch , Tornado Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Special Weather Statement , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Flood Warning
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Maine - Frost Advisory , Freeze Warning
- Minnesota - Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch, Areal Flood Advisory , Flood Watch , Dense Fog Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Montana - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Areal Flood Advisory
- Nebraska - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Tornado Watch , Tornado Watch , Special Statement , Special Weather Statement , Public Information Statement
- New Mexico - Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Warning, Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Watch, Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- North Carolina - Flash Flood Watch
- North Dakota - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Flood Watch , Special Weather Statement , Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Tornado Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- South Carolina - Flood Warning
- South Dakota - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Tennessee - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Texas - Tornado Watch , Lake Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Utah - Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Flash Flood Watch
- Washington - Flood Warning
- Wisconsin - Dense Fog Advisory
- Wyoming - Public Information Statement
Mobile Weather Watcher
|Full Program Grid|
|8:00 PM||Criminal Minds|
|9:00 PM||48 Hours|
|10:00 PM||WCCO 4 News at Ten|
|10:35 PM||Storm Stories|
|11:05 PM||Life to the Max|
|11:35 PM||CSI: Miami|