Current Watches and Warnings
Winter Storm Watch
Statement as of 3:25 AM MDT on October 31, 2014
Expires 1:00 AM EST on November 03, 2014
... Winter Storm Watch remains in effect from Saturday evening
through Sunday evening...
A Winter Storm Watch remains in effect from Saturday evening
through Sunday evening.
* Timing and main impact: a strong Fall storm system will affect
much of north-central and southwest Montana with periods of
rain and snow... heavy at times... Saturday evening through
Sunday evening. Rain falling at lower elevations Saturday
night is likely to change to snow at all elevations early
Sunday morning. The timing of this change from rain to snow
will determine lower elevation snow accumulation.
* Snow accumulations: mountain areas above 5500 feet have the
potential for 5 to 10 inches of storm total snowfall... with
isolated amounts over one foot. Locations below 5500 feet
could have 1 to 4 inches of snow... depending on the timing
at which rain changes to snow. Snowfall amounts greater than
4 inches could occur over portions of the north-Central
Plains if rain changes to snow earlier Saturday night.
* Winds and visibility: north winds of 10 to 20 mph are
possible at lower elevations... while 20 to 30 mph winds are
possible in the mountains. Heavy wet snow could reduce
visibility to less than one-half mile at times.
* Other impacts: travel may become difficult while snow
accumulates over area passes. Bridges may become snow
covered and icy at all elevations. Heavy wet snow could
cause isolated power outages. Young livestock may be at risk
of exposure to hypothermia.
* Locations affected include: Fairfield... Choteau... Chester...
White Sulphur Springs... Battle Ridge Pass... Bozeman...
Bozeman Pass... Targhee Pass... West Yellowstone... Stanford...
Conrad... Boulder... Boulder Hill... Elk Park Pass... Homestake
pass... Whitehall... Shelby... Big Sandy... Fort Benton...
Browning... Marias Pass... Havre... Cut Bank... Townsend...
Great Falls... Kings Hill Pass... Big Hole Pass... Chief
Joseph Pass... Dillon... Monida Pass... Flesher Pass...
Helena... Lincoln... MacDonald Pass... Rogers Pass... Ennis...
Norris Hill... Raynolds Pass... Twin Bridges
* to see a graphical representation of this hazard please visit
our web Page and click on the detailed hazards tab.
A Winter Storm Watch means there is a potential for significant
snow... sleet... or ice accumulations that may impact travel.
Continue to monitor the latest forecasts.
- Alabama - Freeze Watch , Freeze Warning
- Alaska - Special Statement
- Colorado - Freeze Warning , Public Information Statement
- Georgia - Lake Wind Advisory , Freeze Warning
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory
- Idaho - Winter Storm Watch , Special Statement , Record Report
- Illinois - Lakeshore Flood Advisory , Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Freeze Warning
- Iowa - Freeze Warning , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Freeze Warning
- Louisiana - Lake Wind Advisory , Wind Advisory , Freeze Watch
- Michigan - Lakeshore Flood Advisory , Wind Advisory , Lake Effect Snow Advisory
- Minnesota - Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Freeze Watch , Freeze Warning, Freeze Watch
- Missouri - Freeze Warning , Freeze Warning, Freeze Watch
- Montana - Lake Wind Advisory , Winter Storm Watch
- North Carolina - Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning
- North Dakota - Wind Advisory
- Ohio - Freeze Watch , Freeze Warning, Freeze Watch , Special Statement
- Oklahoma - Freeze Warning, Lake Wind Advisory , Freeze Warning , Frost Advisory
- South Carolina - Lake Wind Advisory
- South Dakota - Wind Advisory
- Virginia - Frost Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning
- Washington - Flood Warning
- West Virginia - Winter Weather Advisory
- Wisconsin - Wind Advisory , Lake Effect Snow Advisory , Public Information Statement
- - Gale Warning