Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, Boulder And Jefferson Counties Below 6000 Feet/West Broomfield County
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 2:59 AM MST on January 29, 2015
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
26-1 in 1888... a protracted warm spell lasted a week. Maximum
temperatures ranged from 62 degrees on the 29th to an
all time record high for the month of 76 degrees on the
27th. Daily record high temperatures of 76... 69... and 71
occurred on the 27th... 28th... and 30th respectively.
Record high minimum temperatures of 47 and 34 occurred
on the 26th and 27th.
27-31 in 1951... a major storm dumped 10.1 inches of snowfall at
Stapleton Airport. Most of the snow... 8.3 inches... fell on
the 29th. Cold Arctic air accompanied the snow. Several
temperature records were set... including record low maximum
temperatures of 4 on the 28th and 4 below zero on the 29th
and record low temperatures of 12 below zero on the 29th
and 24 below zero on the 31st. Temperatures were below
zero for 45 consecutive hours.
28-29 in 1956... snowfall totaled 5.5 inches at Stapleton Airport
where east winds gusted to 32 mph on the 28th.
In 1972... cold west winds buffeted Boulder. A wind gust to 92
mph was recorded at the National Bureau of standards... while
a gust to 76 mph was measured in downtown Boulder. Two
Mobile homes were overturned in Boulder. Other damage was
minor. Northwest winds gusted to 40 mph at Stapleton
International Airport on the 28th.
In 1987... strong winds buffeted the Front Range foothills and
spread east over the plains. The highest wind recorded was
99 mph on the 29th at both the National center for
atmospheric research in Boulder and the Rocky Flats plant
south of Boulder. Wind gusts in excess of 80 mph were
common. A northwest wind gust to 54 mph was recorded at
Stapleton International Airport on the 28th with a gust to
41 mph on the 29th. Planes were damaged at both the Boulder
and Jefferson County airports. Hangars were also damaged at
Jefferson County Airport. Many windows were broken... signs
toppled... and trees downed. A brick wall was blown onto
parked cars in Lakewood. A couple of houses in Lakewood
were unroofed... while falling trees damaged others. Two
people were injured by flying debris in Lakewood and Golden.
Total insured damage along the Front Range was 10 million
dollars making the wind storm the second most costly on
record in Colorado at the time.
In 1995... deepening upslope winds along the eastern foothills
on the 28th gave way to periods of heavy snow during the
night and early morning hours of the 29th. Snow fell to a
depth of 8 inches in both Golden and Boulder with up to a
foot in the foothills. Only 1.9 inches of snow fell at
Stapleton International Airport... where east winds gusted
to 22 mph on the 28th.
In 2001... heavy snow fell across Metro Denver. The heaviest
snowfall occurred from just south of Denver to around
Castle Rock. Snow amounts included: 12 inches east of
Parker... 9 inches near Elizabeth and in Littleton... 8 inches
near Castle Rock and in Parker... and 7 inches in Aurora.
Snowfall totaled 6.0 inches at the site of the former
Stapleton International Airport.
28-30 in 1887... winds were strong and gusty for three days in the
city. West and northwest winds were sustained to 56 mph
on both the 28th and 29th and to 44 mph on the 30th.
Temperatures warmed to a high of 57 degrees on the 29th.
29 in 1900... northwest winds were sustained to 45 mph with an
extreme velocity of 46 mph.
In 1914... this was the last day of 60 consecutive days
with snow cover of one inch or more in Denver. This
third longest period of snow cover on record began with
the record breaking snow and blizzard on December 1-5...
1913 when a total of 45.7 inches of snow fell in downtown
Denver. Additional snowfall during December and January
prolonged the event. Snow depth on the ground to the
nearest tenth of an inch was measured once daily at 6:00
In 1927... west winds were sustained at 40 mph with gusts to
In 1942... heavy snowfall totaled 6.2 inches in downtown
Denver. North winds were sustained to 17 mph.
In 1965... strong winds occurred in Boulder for the third
consecutive day. Only limited minor damage was reported.
Northwest winds gusted to 40 mph at Stapleton International
In 1984... highs winds in and near the foothills produced wind
gusts as high as 71 mph in Boulder. A plane was flipped
over at Jefferson County Airport and damaged beyond repair.
In Lakewood... two construction trailers were damaged by the
gusts. North winds gusted to only 38 mph at Stapleton
In 1990... gale to hurricane force winds gusts raked the
foothills. Wind gusts of 50 to 90 mph were common in
Boulder County. A peak wind of 94 mph was clocked at Table
Mesa in southwest Boulder. Scattered power outages and
minor property damage were reported. West winds gusted to
46 mph at Stapleton International Airport.
29-30 in 1985... an Arctic air mass with snow closed I-70 for a time
in Denver and east of Denver. Snowfall totaled 5.4 inches
at Stapleton International Airport where north winds gusted
to 29 mph on the 29th.
29-31 in 1883... a major winter storm dumped 19.3 inches of snow on
downtown Denver. Most of the snow... 12.2 inches... fell
on the 31st. This was the heaviest snowfall to hit the
city in years. Temperatures plunged from a high of 52
degrees on the 29th to a low of 13 degrees on the 31st.
Precipitation from the storm totaled 2.23 inches. The
1.22 inches of precipitation on the 31st was the greatest
calendar day and 24 hour precipitation ever recorded in
the city during the month of January.
- Alaska - Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Wind Chill Advisory , Blizzard Warning
- Arizona - Winter Storm Watch
- California - Dense Fog Advisory
- Colorado - Winter Storm Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Record Report
- Florida - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Georgia - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Idaho - Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- Indiana - Special Statement
- Iowa - Wind Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Special Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Dense Fog Advisory
- Maine - Winter Storm Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Maryland - Winter Weather Advisory
- Massachusetts - Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report
- Michigan - Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement
- Minnesota - Wind Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Missouri - Special Statement , Record Report
- Montana - Areal Flood Advisory
- Nebraska - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Wind Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- New Hampshire - Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report
- New Mexico - Winter Storm Watch , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Record Report
- New York - Winter Weather Advisory
- North Carolina - Flood Warning
- North Dakota - Record Report
- Ohio - Freezing Rain Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement
- Oklahoma - Lake Wind Advisory , Record Report
- Oregon - Dense Fog Advisory , Air Stagnation Advisory , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Winter Weather Advisory , Freezing Rain Advisory
- Rhode Island - Record Report
- South Dakota - Wind Advisory
- Texas - Flood Warning , High Wind Warning , Lake Wind Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory , Record Report
- Utah - Record Report
- Vermont - Winter Weather Advisory
- Virginia - Winter Weather Advisory
- Washington - Dense Fog Advisory
- West Virginia - Winter Weather Advisory , Freezing Rain Advisory , Special Statement
- Wisconsin - Special Statement
- Wyoming - Record Report