Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, Boulder And Jefferson Counties Below 6000 Feet/West Broomfield County
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 2:59 AM MDT on August 05, 2015
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
5 in 1881... the low temperature cooled to only 76 degrees... the
record high minimum temperature for the month.
In 1889... southwest winds were sustained to 42 mph.
In 1918... hail pelted the city... but was light and caused no
damage. Precipitation totaled 0.25 inch. Northwest winds
were sustained to 31 mph.
In 1964... lightning struck two boys in Denver while playing
Ball. One was treated and released from the hospital... but
the other boy suffered second degree electrical shock and
cardiac arrest and was hospitalized in critical condition
for several days.
In 1969... two tornadoes touched down briefly in an open field
southeast of Buckley field in Aurora. No damage was
In 1970... heavy rain in the Indian HIlls area in the
foothills west of Denver caused flash flooding... which
washed out roads and damaged other property. Hail
accumulated to a 3 inch depth with stones up to Golf Ball
size; however... most of the damage was from flooding.
In 1982... 2.38 inches of rain fell in an hour in Arvada...
causing minor flooding on Ralston creek. In Westminster...
1 1/2 inches of rain fell... causing damage to streets and
culverts. In addition... lightning caused some minor power
outages across Metro Denver.
In 1983... very heavy thunderstorms hit the southern portion of
Metro Denver. Heavy rainfall... as much as 2.89 inches in 38
minutes... caused widespread street flooding in southeast
Denver. Two feet of water covered a section of I-25. Hail
up to Golf Ball size accompanied the storm in Littleton and
Englewood... along with 60 mph winds.
In 1984... a heavy thunderstorm drenched Littleton with up to
2.35 inches of rain in an hour... along with small hail that
piled up to 2 inches deep. Flood waters were up to 4 feet
deep in parts of town with many basements flooded. There
were some power outages caused by lightning.
In 1990... a thunderstorm dumped 1.25 inches of rain in 12
minutes near tower and Smoky Hill roads in southeast
Aurora. Minor street flooding was reported in the area.
In 1992... a pilot reported two funnel clouds near Cherry Creek
Reservoir. Both dissipated quickly. Dime size hail fell
In 1994... one inch diameter hail fell near Strasburg. No
damage was reported.
In 1999... a dog kennel east of Denver International Airport...
was flooded when a small dam... upstream in Elbert County...
was breached. The floodwaters... up to 4 feet deep... washed
away some 6-foot fences and other small buildings. Ten of
the 70 dogs boarded at the kennel drowned.
In 2002... a mail Carrier was struck by lightning as he
inserted a key into a multi-unit mailbox in Bailey.
The shock knocked the man back against the mail truck.
He suffered minor injuries. Lightning struck a residence
in Commerce City. The resulting fire destroyed the roof
of a detached garage and damaged much of its contents.
Hail as large as 1 3/4 inches in diameter pelted Pine.
One inch diameter hail fell in Arvada and southwest Denver.
Heavy rain triggered a mudslide along U.S. Highway 285
near Bailey. Both lanes of traffic had to be closed
until debris could be removed from the Highway. Several
residences in the Bailey and Glenisle areas were also
In 2004... heavy thunderstorm rainfall caused localized flash
flooding in Virginia Canyon near Idaho Springs. Sections
of the Virginia Canyon Road had to be closed due to the
In 2008... a severe thunderstorm produced large hail... up to
1 1/4 inches in diameter... northeast of Parker. Several
automobiles were damaged.
- Alaska - Special Statement , Record Report
- Arizona - Excessive Heat Warning , Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Heat Advisory , Record Report
- California - Wind Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Heat Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Dense Fog Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning , Hydrologic Statement
- Georgia - Record Report
- Guam - Areal Flood Advisory, High Surf Advisory , High Surf Advisory
- Hawaii - Tropical Storm Watch , Flash Flood Watch , High Surf Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , High Surf Advisory
- Idaho - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement
- Kansas - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Mississippi - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Missouri - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch
- Nebraska - Flood Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory
- Nevada - Wind Advisory , Record Report
- New Mexico - Special Statement
- North Carolina - Heat Advisory , Record Report
- North Dakota - Special Statement
- Oklahoma - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Heat Advisory
- Oregon - Fire Weather Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- South Carolina - Heat Advisory , Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Texas - Flood Warning , Heat Advisory , Special Statement
- Utah - Record Report
- Washington - Fire Weather Warning
- Wyoming - Record Report